Monday, September 2, 2013

Clinical Pastoral Education 2013


As I prepare to head back to seminary in September, I would like to say a few words about my summer.  I recently completed Clinical Pastoral Education at Geisinger Hospital in Danville, Pennsylvania.  Their Spiritual Care department is truly filled with love and compassion. This was a large hospital which showed passion for educating through their program. During my process, I learned new ways of communication, counseling, listening, and being a strong calm presence in others’ lives. The learning environment provided a vast variety of different social conditions and systems.

My goals taught me how to work with many of my colleagues and learn about different forms of ministry. Every conversation has enabled evaluation of self, my group, and growth throughout my ministry this summer and into the future.

One of my favorite lessons …

“Faith is the ability to accept life as it is…not the way we wish it was. That is the tragic continuum of life.” – Al Lumpkin

So often in life and ministry, people cry out or ask questions of why… during suffering or tragedy. They begin by asking, “Why God did this to me?” Al Lumpkin played a song where a bride and groom get married and were desperately in love with one another. Directly after the wife was riding a horse, the horse tripped in whole…wife fell and died. The husband in distress and love shot himself in the head and they were buried together. Through this song, Al pointed out that we get so caught up in the tragedy in life but no one ever blames the gopher who originally dug the hole in the ground. Why then do we think God is responsible when tragedy strikes?

In suffering it is often difficult to articulate where faith comes into play. True faith is the knowing that God is there through the pain and the suffering and accepting life just the way it is! Life is a risk opportunity and there are no guarantees. The only guarantee that we have is God’s infinite love for us and presence through our entire lives.

Thank you to my director, staff chaplains, hospital employees, residents, and fellow students this summer. It was a great journey because of you!


“Al Lumpkin – Geisinger Hospital, Danville Pennsylvania 2013 Didactics Lecture. Al Lumpkin was the original founder of the Clinical Pastoral Education Program Site. “

No comments:

Post a Comment