Thursday, December 24, 2015

The hunger of Celiac's


John 6:30-40

            When reading this story from John, I was reminded of my great dilemmas lately. A few months ago I found out have Celiac’s disease like my father. This means that I am not allowed to have any form of Gluten. I have watched my father work with his disease for years, no big deal if he can do it, I can to. What I have found is frustration.

            Just the other day I had a brilliant idea to take my friend to Washington for the first time. What a wonderful idea but I had no clue what kind of day was about to unfold. One, I woke up trying to get my family around. Needless to say, I was not able to get any food so I decided to get some on the drive to the metro. Problem one... When you cannot have gluten there are so many foods you cannot have. It is a rare occasion any fast food restaurants have anything to choose from. Cross that of the list so when we stopped at the gas station I decided to explore. Problem…nothing. Out of frustration I found a banana and continued on our way.

            Next plan, to eat at the Smithsonian café for brunch get some yogurt, salad, and fruit there. They have to have some healthy choices. Oh what a day! My plan was spoiled when the metro was shut down for several stops and we needed to take a bus into half the city before arriving at a closer metro. By the time we reached the Smithsonian it was 2pm and my stomach was soooooo hungry! My body was starting to get irritated and I was ready to go! What a day.

            We rush directly downstairs after waiting in a line which made me wonder if they were giving the hope diamond away. Only to find…pizza (gluten) sandwiches (gluten) fried chicken (gluten) no yogurt and the salads had bread crumbs all over them (gluten)! Such a scary scenario, hungry surrounded by food, nothing which won’t make me sick. If I could have only have bread! What a day. I bought another banana and took a seat to watch my family eat their food figuring out plan C finding other food outside Smithsonian around dinner time.

             Now not being familiar with Washington you might see how this was going to continue throughout the day. Needless to say the day continued in calamity after calamity and it was near 11pm before we finally pulled into a restaurant where I finally could find some trusted food with a nice gluten free piece of bread. What a day. As I sat with a sigh of relief and a soon to be full tummy I thought about my struggles trying to find that ONE piece of gluten free food that would save me from my hunger.

            Bread, Bread, Bread…I understand desire for it out of the inability to have it. In fact, many of us should be able to relate to this desire. Today, over 72 million loaves of bread are sold to Americans per year.  My search for life sustaining bread that day brought this story home. We all need food. We will not live without it. As Christians this is so much more. Currently, there are millions who are starving all over this world yearning for bread, Yearning to be fed. In recent memory we can recall the images of the citizens after the tsunami. Thousands dead, families lost, lives changed forever, starving with no food or water. They need food but in this moment, it is hope that is hard to see. Hope that food and aid will come. This bread that Jesus spoke about is for the soul instead of the body. It satisfies the souls hunger and keeps us alive. The father gives it to us through his son, the true bread of life. Past our hunger pains, past our sufferings, the hunger and thirst of human situation are ended when we Know Christ and when through him we know God. The restless soul is at peace when the hungry heart is satisfied. We see Jesus when we see him in the teachings of our church, face to face. He is not a distant hero but right at the alter. The whole process gives us life. It is an invitation to all, the invitation is to take and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment